Guide To Car Accident Management In Atlanta: Causes, Tips, Treatment, And Recovery!
Although a great medium for transportation, automobiles have certainly added an additional risk in our lives - the risk of being in a car accident. Over the years, billions of people across the world suffer from car accidents, some fatal while others leading to momentous accident injuries.
Atlanta is one of the most popular tourist destinations in America. With more and more people coming to visit and settle in Hotlanta, the traffic numbers have surely seen an eloquent rise. If you are living there or ever had the privilege to visit Atlanta, you must know what we are talking about!
Why Are Car Accidents Frequent In Atlanta?
Since we are getting in all the gory details, you must know that there are 11 fatal accidents in Atlanta out of a total of 100,000 residents. The city is regarded as one of the most dangerous cities to drive in the USA.
You must be wondering why?
The answer is distracted driving.
Being the 15th most dangerous city to drive in, the reason behind this significantly higher number suggests that the majority of the population in Atlanta is prone to distracted driving. More than 50% of the time a person is distracted behind the wheel results in an accident.
What Is Distracted Driving?
A person is known to be distracted while driving when he/she is:
- Using their phone or other electronic gadgets.
- Diverting their attention towards other people/kids/pets in the car
- Using the mirrors to put on makeup.
Let’s just say that every time you are busy with something in the vehicle other than driving and your eyes are not focused entirely on the activities on the road - you are distracted.
How Does Distracted Driving Occur?
Normally, distracted driving occurs when you are at a high speed. People who drive their vehicle over 50 miles per hour while being distracted can bump their car or lose control over the vehicle in a timeframe of 150 seconds. This however is an average recorded figure.
What to Do After a Car Accident?
If you have ever been in an accident, you need to have proper awareness of what to do after a car accident. Here are a few steps you need to keep in mind in case you ever meet an unwanted bump:
Make Sure That You Are Safe
Just make sure that you are safe and the people traveling with you in the car are safe. If the bump is minor, you need to get the vehicle out of the busy traffic and into a safe spot - probably near a sidewalk. For major accidents, do not move your vehicle unless the police, 911or other safety departments arrive and if you are hurt, just don’t move at all.
Get Professional Help
Call 911 and ask them to dispatch a rescue vehicle for rescue. Call the police and let them know about the situation. Also, if you are not badly hurt, you can contact your insurance company and tell them about the damage.
Seek Medical Help
You need to seek professional medical help for your injuries even if there is no visible damage. Your doctor will help you recover and get better. Getting the services of a professional doctor is important because many people who do not get themselves checked usually end up having chronic health issues initiating from their so-called “minor accident injuries”
Medical Health Issues after an Accident
Accidents can be counted as an awful experience either they are major or not. Since everyone is prone to handling tragedies in a completely different way, it is impossible to judge the severity of the accident on an individual.
You must get yourself tested by a doctor who might prescribe a sort of physical treatment to help your body recover. If you have any signs, ask a professional health specialist who will decide if it is a symptom of anything more substantial:
Whiplash is the most common injury that can even occur in accidents that are caused in a vehicle going as slow as 20mph. Many people have reported that the symptoms of whiplash do not occur in the first 24 hours however, in some rare cases they can be as delayed as 72 hours.
Headache can last for a couple of hours to several months. People can suffer from internal head injuries that can start with symptoms like a constant headache.
Back pain after a car accident is a symbol that there has been significant damage to your spine. Spinal injuries are the most dangerous among all because if they worsen, people can suffer from serious disorders like nerve damage, spinal deformity, and even paralysis.
You need to look for the safety of your bones as well. From minor finger fractures to more serious skull fractures, everything has to be treated and taken care of immediately. Patients who suffer from fractures and broken bones after the accident might need to look for orthopedic doctors in Atlanta to reduce any complications and mobility issues following the accident.
Cuts and Lacerations
In case of broken glass and objects that can become a projectile and hurt you, cuts, burns, lacerations, and bruises are quite common. They need to be treated with proper medication as they have the tendency to get infected.
Treatment Plan Adopted By Doctors
Here are a few pointers that will be involved in your accident injury treatment:
- Your doctor will make sure to ask you about the details of the incident and previous medical history related to injuries.
- They will perform a physical examination to determine the area of discomfort. Most doctors ask to point to the painful region as well.
- Imaging tests like x-rays, MRI, and CT-scan will be carried out just so that internal damage is located properly.
- Your doctor will diagnose you with proper treatment, medication, and also refer you to a specialist who will have a better insight on how to treat your accident injuries.
Alternate Care after an Accident
Many people go down the route of treating the injuries caused by accidents through alternate care methods like chiropractic and physical therapy. Chiropractors are extremely efficient in treating back pain after a car accident as well as other health complications that might arise due to it.
Self-Care after a Car Accident
While medical treatment is the most important step to getting better, you will need to take care of yourself at home as well. Here are a few steps to take care of yourself and get better:
- Take as much rest as you want. Professionals recommend that you take at least 2 weeks of rest even after a minor accident.
- Practice meditation exercises like yoga to recover more quickly, regain your lost strength, become more flexible, and to give your mind some peace.
- Drink loads and loads of water because staying hydrated will help you recover the tissues and cells in your body. Apart from that, hydration will also ensure that the cuts and lacerations recover quicker.
- Proper nutrition is essential for the body to recover. Instead of worrying about calories, focus on protein-rich foods that will build muscle, and help you regain strength. Cut down a bit on sugary items though as they can trigger the injuries like a headache.
- Take supplements like vitamin C, zinc, vitamin D, fiber, and calcium. They will make sure that your body has enough nutrition.
- Spend time with your loved ones and talk to them about the accidents.
- Try to manage the stress-levels with techniques like yoga.
Is Yoga An Effective Meditation Technique For Self-Care After An Accident?
Research demonstrates that practicing yoga to stretch, bend, and strengthen the back just after a car crash will lead to serious instability in the body. You can drop a disc, damage the structure of your spine, and lead to lifelong injuries that will need continuous treatment for the rest of your life. Right after the accident and rest when your doctors ask you to start moving a bit and to add short spans of movements to your day to day routine.
How to Start Performing Yoga after an Accident?
Here are a few tips you need to keep in mind before starting yoga right after a car accident:
Day 0 to First Week
- Regardless of the severity of your injury, take a few days of rest. Do not perform any yoga, do not stretch, and definitely do not bend or twist for any activity.
- Avoid lifting weights or anything that is heavier than 5 pounds - just take complete rest and allow your mind and body to heal from the trauma you have just encountered.
- Use compression on the parts of the body that are sore and ruptured from the accident.
- Your recovery process is in progress. Try running a warm bath with Epsom salt if you have back pain after a car accident. It will cool your senses, release toxins, and reduce any soreness.
- Focus entirely on your diet and hydration.
- Start slow movements like twisting your neck slowly, looking towards the roof, and bending from side to side.
- Add some complex movements in your routine like prayer squat, forward fold while sitting, forward fold while standing, warrior I and II, tree.
- Visit your orthopedic doctor in Atlanta just to be on track with the doctors as well as to ensure that you are not overstressing your bones.
Accidents can happen to anyone in Atlanta because of different reasons like distracted driving, intense traffic, etc. You should take care of your health along with proper medical treatment to make sure that the recovery is complete and you are not suffering from any chronic health issues.