How To Apply Hair Color at Home: Your Guide to a New Look
Transforming your hair color can be a way to refresh your look.
While many women opt to visit a salon for hair color treatments, there’s an increasing trend towards at-home hair color application. Not only applying hair color at home is more convenient, but it can also be a more cost-effective option.
The Pros and Cons of Applying Hair Color at Home
DIY hair coloring can be a convenient and cost-effective way to change or maintain your hair color. However, it comes with both pros and cons that you should consider with your DIY route.
Here are the advantages and disadvantages of applying DIY hair color:
Pros of Applying at Home
- Cost-Effective. DIY hair color is generally more budget-friendly than going to a salon. You can save money by purchasing an at-home hair color kit.
- Convenience. You can color your own hair at your convenience without having to schedule an appointment at a salon.
- Customization. DIY kits have shades and formulas. This allows you to customize your color to your liking and hair length.
- Frequent Touch-Ups. For those with gray hair or fast-growing roots, DIY hair color can be a quick and easy way to touch up your color whenever needed.
Cons of Applying at Home
- Skill required. Achieving salon-quality results can be challenging. You may not get the exact shade you desire, and mistakes can be difficult to correct.
- Risk of damage. Incorrectly applying semi-permanent hair color can lead to damage, including dryness, breakage, and uneven coloring. Overlapping color on previously dyed hair can also cause damage.
- Color variation. The color on the box may not always match the final result, especially if you have previously color-treated hair or different underlying tones.
- Uneven application. Achieving consistent and even coverage can be tricky, especially when working with long and thick hair.
- Limited expertise. It allows them to create complex color blends and corrections that DIYers may struggle with.
- Allergic reactions. DIY hair color products contain chemicals that can cause allergic reactions in some individuals. Performing a patch test before application is crucial to avoid adverse effects.
- Maintenance. Maintaining DIY hair color can be time-consuming. You may need to touch up roots frequently and use color-preserving products.
How to Apply Hair Color at Home Safely
Here are steps to consider:
Step 1: Gather Your Supplies
Before you begin the hair coloring process, gather all the necessary supplies:
- Hair color kit
- Applicator brush
- Plastic or glass mixing bowl
- Sectioning clips
- Old T-shirt or salon cape
- Timer or watch
Having all your tools and products ready will streamline the process and prevent any last-minute trips to the store.
Step 2: Choose the right hair color
Here are the general guidelines to help you choose the right one:
- Warm skin tones. If you have a warm skin tone, such as golden or peachy hues, opt for hair colors with warm tones, such as dark hair color.
- Cool skin tones. If you have cool undertones in your skin, such as pink or blue undertones, go for hair colors with cool tones.
- Neutral skin tones. If you have a neutral color, lucky you! Try different shades to find what complements your natural hair color.
Feel free to consult with a hair colorist or use online virtual color simulators to get a better idea.
Step 3: Perform a Patch Test
Here is a guide on how to perform a patch test:
- Choose a small area of skin, such as behind your ear or on your inner arm.
- Clean the area with mild soap.
- Mix a small amount of the hair color dye according to the instructions provided.
- Apply a small amount of the mixed color to the test area.
- Leave it on for the recommended time specified in the instructions.
- Rinse off the color with lukewarm water.
- Observe the test area for any signs of redness or irritation for the next 24 to 48 hours.
If you experience any reactions, avoiding using the permanent hair color product is best.
Step 4: The Application Process
Follow these instructions for a successful and professional-looking result:
- Section your hair. Start by sectioning your dry hair into four quadrants using hair clips or hair ties.
- Mix the hair color. Follow the instructions in your color kit to mix the hair dye. Pour the amount of hair dye into a mixing bowl and add the developer or activator.
- Apply the color. Starting from the roots, use the brush or applicator to apply the color to each section of hair. Work your way from the front to the back, making sure to saturate each strand evenly.
- Set a timer. Once all the hair is thoroughly coated with the color, set a timer according to the recommended processing time.
- Rinse and condition. Avoid using hot water. Apply the provided conditioner or a deep conditioning treatment to soften hair texture.
- Style. Whether you’ve achieved a subtle change or a bold transformation, be proud of your DIY dark or blonde hair color success.
It’s time to transform your look with a new hair color!
Applying a color can be fun, allowing you to achieve a stunning new look without the need for a salon visit. Say goodbye to expensive salon visits and hello to a stunning new you.